bground

Friday, November 11, 2011

Veterans Day Tribute by Amy Kimball


I  am a proud daughter of a Vietnam Veteran. My father, David, served in the Navy and in the Air Force during Vietnam. He was a medic on the front lines and has told me many stories about the efforts and bravery of his fellow soldiers while in battle. My father is a Registered Nurse and was a healing hand during this war. He was in the Air Force Reserves in 1990 and also served in Desert Shield for 2 years. I am so proud of my father for his bravery and the many years he spent in service to our country. He retired as a Major in the Air Force and still works at a local hospital as the Director of Surgical Services.

My cousin’s husband is like a brother to me. He enlisted in the Army in 2007 and served in Afghanistan and in Iraq for 18 months. He worked hard to become an M-16 expert shooter and also received a medal for his efforts during his service in the Gulf War. He subsequently injured his back while riding in a convoy and now receives service connection for this disability. I am so proud of him for enlisting to want to make a difference in what has been an ongoing war for over 11 years. After he returned home he had surgery on his back and was medically discharged from the Army reserves. I am extremely proud of Chris and his journey. I truly believe that if he had not been injured, he would have made the military his career.

Both my father and Chris have such a special place in my heart. They make me proud to come to work every day and fight for the benefits the veterans deserve. They both enlisted and put aside their own safety for our country and its citizens. This is the bravest thing to me. War is scary. War is not easy. War can change a person forever. I am so thankful that my family has been a part of the efforts of our military in both of these wars. There are no words to say how proud it makes me to have these two men in my life and I appreciate them every day.

Amy Kimball

No comments:

Post a Comment