bground

Friday, November 11, 2011

Veterans Day Tribute by Michelle Johnson


I am a proud granddaughter of a Korean War Veteran. My grandfather, Jesse, served in Germany in the Army during Korean War in the early 1950s.  I am the proud sister-in-law of a veteran of the War on Terror.  My husband’s brother, Sean, was just recently honorably discharged from the Armed Services after serving the past several years in places such as Afghanistan and other parts of the Middle East, in addition to different areas of the United States.  My husband’s step-brother, T.J., also served for several years in the War on Terror in many different parts of the Middle East and the United States.  He has since been honorably discharged as well.  My cousin, Scottie, did several tours of duty in the Middle East during the War on Terror and also recently was honorably discharged from the Army.  They are all shining examples of service to our country.  Many other friends and family members have served in various wars and conflicts for different branches of our Armed Services and I am truly proud of each and every one of them.

Of each story that I have been shared from the different veterans in my life throughout the years, the one that sticks with me the most comes from my husband’s uncle, Junior.  He served during World War II in Germany and the surrounding areas.  It took him several years to share any stories at all with his family.  He recalled an event during the winter with deep snow on the ground as he fought against the Nazis.  As he and his troops heard Hitler’s men coming in the far off distance, they were forced to find a way to survive.  He and his troops buried themselves deep in the snow and awaited the opposing forces to walk over top of them.  Had Junior (or any of the other men) moved wrong, breathed wrong or anything of the like, it would have sealed their fate and they would not have survived to share the story.  Can you imagine lying beneath the snow knowing one wrong move could end your life?  I cannot fathom the thought. I am certain there were many, many more important and moving stories like this one that he could have shared as well.  Sadly, Junior passed away last month.  At his funeral, he was surrounded by various medals, an entire case full in fact, that were recently found and restored.  He was given full military honors at his graveside service.  He never wanted to be honored, but I can’t think of a man more deserving to be honored today – Veteran’s Day.

I am thankful to God that none of my loved ones who’ve served in the wars I’ve mentioned above lost their lives in doing so.  In honoring them, my words are also meant to honor each and every veteran today – those who’ve given our lives for our country, those who’ve served and are due our respect, and those who continue to serve and protect our country and our great freedoms.  Freedom isn’t free – and I’m certainly thankful to each of our veterans who’ve paid the price for the rest of us to live in a free country.  Your service is invaluable and we thank you today and every day.  May God bless you.  Happy Veteran’s Day!  May we never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment